HomeLife have shown us the latest trends in wallpaper and how to decorate with this handy material, as well the latest in wall decals…
Create an environment that sings of rich textures and a sense of depth through clever layering of colour and pattern. Developing a scheme needn’t be expensive if you start with what you have and build upon it. Use your favourite piece of furniture as the starting point for ideas about the colours, shapes and styles you would like to combine.
Successful layering of patterns depends on balance. Too many contrasting designs looks chaotic; yet too much repetition creates an over-coordinated arrangement. Start with some elementary guidelines to simplify the process:
- Stripes and checks are an excellent starting point, especially when selecting your colour palette.
- Mix various widths of stripes for a coordinated base with a difference.
- Florals and complex patterns are easy to introduce as a complementary accent, such as framed fabric.
- To ensure patterns work together, select them at the same time.
- Balance patterns with strong pieces of furniture in a plain weave and colour.
Black and white wallpaper is very bold and can be a striking addition to a wall in your home. The less contrasting the colour is in the wallpaper pattern, the less obvious the pattern will be in the room. Cluster plain objects against the pattern - so they don't get lost.
A patterned wallpaper takes on a touch of luxury as flocking gives it a sense of texture and subtle depth. 'Monroe' wallcovering in Graphite, from the Rossini range by Wilman Interiors from Hoad Fabrics
Florence Broadhurst ‘Small Octagonal’ in Yellow, from Signature Prints
‘Garden Birds’ from Wall Candy Wallpaper
‘Verona’ in Pink Rose, from Karman Grech Designs