Thursday, July 1, 2010

Fabric Wall Mural




Wall stickers are a hot decorating item at the moment. They are especially good for decorating children's rooms as they are a non-permanent option that can be easily changed as your child grows. There are many wall sticker designs available, but perhaps you have not been able to find exactly what you want? This fabric wall mural from Sugar Bee is a fantastic solution! It looks great and just like wall stickers it is an easily removable decorating solution! Sugar Bee have used a combination of painted elements (the tree trunk) and fabric (circular leaves), but you could just use fabric if you are concerned about painting the walls.

What you need: 
• Cornstarch goo (instructions below)
• Paintbrush
• Fabric
• Paint ( if you choose to include painted elements on the wall)

What to do:

• Tree murals are all the rage, so I knew I wanted one. Under the stairs is a playhouse so the little room next to the playhouse is like the yard. And what yard is complete without a tree. I browsed lots of great examples of tree murals and saw one with circles - it was just the right amount of whimsy I was looking for.

• I wanted to incorporate fabric on the wall to tie together the color scheme, so some of my leaves are circles of fabric. So a quick how to paint a tree on a wall and use fabric...

• I had help in this - I'm not an artist at all. I had my husband freehand the tree outline and place all the circles. He used our big Tupperware bowl set for the various sizes. I traced the bowls onto the fabric in the sizes we wanted. All the paint was finished first:


• For attaching the fabric to the wall - super easy. I found a great how-to on How About Orange - basically you paint the back of the fabric with goo, put the fabric with goo on the wall, then paint another coat of goo on top once it's on the wall. The cornstarch holds it to the wall and apparently it will just pull off the wall whenever we need it to. 


For the goo recipe I used:

• 1/8 C cornstarch stirred into 1/4 C cold water
• then added that to 2 C boiling water

• You can see how many circles I did, and there was still leftover goo.

• I used 2 different fabrics from the same family - dots and stripes

Visit Sugar Bee

No comments:

Post a Comment