The iPad has hit Australia's shores! There are a great range of accessories available to protect your new iPad, but why not stand out from the crowd and hand-make your own iPad cover. This tutorial from Made by Heidi shows how to make a very sweet protective iPad cover...
What you need:
• 2 pieces of 9 1/2 X 12 1/2 inch outer fabric
• 2 pieces of 10 X 13 inch batting
• 2 pieces of 17 X 12 inch inner fabric
• 11 1/2 inch zipper
• Sewing machine
• Needle & thread
• 1 binder
• Cut the binder as shown.
• Cut the binder pieces to 8 X 10 1/2.
• Place outer fabric with right sides together. Add batting on top and bottom of outer fabric.
• Pin the pieces together.
• Start 1/2 inch from the top of the outer fabric (shown), you will need the extra space for to attach the zipper at the top. Sew 1/4 inch (remember to backstitch) from the edge of the outer fabric. You will need to lift the batting as you sew, to make sure you are still sewing the outer fabric. Sew down one side, across the bottom, and up the other side. Leave 1/2 inch at top. Backstitch.
• Do not remove the excess material around the stitches. It will provide padding for the edges of your ipad case.
• Cut of the corners.
• Turn inside out. Use pin to pull corners out.
• Sew along the outer edge of the case.
• Attach the zipper as shown. Sew down the middle of the zipper (where the pins are located in my picture). Remember to backstitch.
• Turn right-side out. Sew below zipper on the outer-fabric.
• Take inner fabric and wrap around the binder piece. Sew the two edges of the inner fabric about 1/8 of an inch from where the binder ends. Repeat for the other piece.
• Take the two pieces pin & sew together. End product should look like this. Don't remove the excess fabric. It will help protect the ipad.
• Insert lining into outer shell. Using a needle and thread sew lining to the outer fabric or zipper. Do not push all of the way through the outer fabric, you don't want your stitches to show.
Add any decorations and voila! A very cute case for your iPad.