Etsy is not only a great place to buy unique gifts and homewares, it also has some fabulous DIY tutorials, like this cute fabric and felt pin by Amelia Strader, from the Museum of Craft and Folk Art. It's quick and easy to make and will dress up any outfit, and best of all it costs very little to put together.
Length: 3 ¾” approx
Width: 2” approx
• Sewing needle
• Straight pins
• All purpose thread
• Embroidery floss
• 9" x 12" felt square
• 1 1/4" x 28" strip of cotton fabric (plus approx. 6" x 6" square of the same material)
• Fabric glue
• Fabric marker or tailor's chalk
• Metal pin back
• Leaf Pattern
1. To create fabric flower, cut a 1 ¼” wide strip of cotton fabric 28” long. Fold the fabric strip into thirds lengthwise, right side facing out.
2. To create the center of the flower, start at one end of the fabric strip and roll the fabric until it measures ¼” wide in diameter. Be sure to roll the fabric as tightly as possible. Then with the rest of the fabric strip, start to twist and wrap around in a continuous circle. Keep wrapping and twisting the fabric tightly until you reach the end of the fabric strip. Tuck the end of the fabric under the flower and secure with a pin.
3. With a matching thread color stab stitch through the layers of fabric to secure the flower. Be sure to use tiny stitches so the thread is not visible. Tie off thread at the back of the flower.
4. With a matching thread color stab stitch through the layers of fabric to secure the flower. Be sure to use tiny stitches so the thread is not visible. Tie off thread at the back of the flower.
Felt Leaves Directions:
1. Print out leaf pattern onto 8 ½” x 11” piece of paper. Cut 2 leaf shapes from the felt squares.
2. Use a fabric pen or tailor's chalk to transfer the embroidery stitch lines on to one of the felt leaf shapes. Stitch lines don’t have to be perfect, feel free to get creative here.
3. Sandwich felt pieces together and pin at center to hold in place. Make sure the felt piece with pen marks is on the outside. The leaves are now ready to be embroidered.
1. Thread a sewing needle with two strands of embroidery floss. Embroider a running stitch along pen marks. Start at the center of the leaf shape and continue out to the leaf tip and tie off. Continue this step until all leaves are embroidered.
1. Place flower over center of felt leaf and pin to secure. With matching thread carefully tack flower to felt in four places. Be sure to use tiny stitches so thread is not visible. Tie off thread at the back of the flower.
2. Sew metal pin back to the center of the leaf. Now your pin is read to wear!